I have started this blog to create a new set of connections with the JustWrite community: the hundreds of people who have registered for and worked on JustWrite.
The blog will be of use to:
· current participants;
· people who have completed the course and want to continue developing their writing skills; and
· people who are considering registering for the course.
But I also hope that it will be useful to anyone in civil society organizations who wants to improve their writing skills. For that reason, I have decided to offer completely open access.
You can’t complete JustWrite by reading this blog! (More on registering below.) But, over time, we shall assemble here a rich store of materials to help you realise your full potential as a writer.
This blog will offer:
· an introduction to the course;
· video summaries of the core sections;
· guidelines on completing assignments, with worked examples;
· a selection of completed reports and other documents (all names disguised, of course);
· postings and conversations about issues arising from the course; and
· links to other sites that provide interesting and useful information.
Obviously, it will take time to build up these resources, but I aim to have all of these elements up and running within the next few weeks.
I also welcome any ideas that you may have for developing the blog. What would you like to see here? What would you like to discuss? Post your thoughts here and I shall respond as quickly as I can.
What is JustWrite?
Fahamu developed JustWrite in 2002. This course aims to develop participants’ writing skills to support their advocacy work. It delivers a comprehensive approach to the skills of effective writing. It is particularly aimed at people who have something important to say but cannot express it clearly.
JustWrite can help you produce a research report, thesis, book or book chapter, advocacy document, paper for publication, essay – or any other substantial piece of written work.
The course is part of an integrated collection of courses developed by
Fahamu in conjunction with the
JustWrite uses a unique blend of learning techniques and technologies.
· You will receive a CD containing core materials for the course, as well as practical exercises and discussion points.
· You will complete five assignments, all of which contribute to completing a document. You can use JustWrite to help you write a real document at work!
· You will also work 1:1 with a course tutor, who will guide you through the course, answer your questions and mark your assignments.
JustWrite is a unique learning opportunity in the advocacy and development
field. We’re proud of the work we have
already done with the Aga Khan Foundation, ActionAid, IDRC Kenya, the Stakeholder
Democracy Network in
Participants who complete JustWrite will receive a certificate from the
Department for Continuing Education at the
If you want to register for JustWrite, please follow this link.
You’ll find everything you need to know there, including course fees, and instructions on how to register.
One final word before we move on. I have gratefully used some design elements on this blog that were created by Judith Charlton. Judith was responsible for all the design work on JustWrite, and has done other truly inspirational design for Fahamu.